The Gilded Thorn Band

of Fortnight, Drackenvelt, Warwick. Est. July 2014.

• Reply to topic

Crows (and other scavengers)

Ahnica
Coldoon

Commendations
Positions Held: Founding Member, Coldoon since July 2014

Crows (and other scavengers)

Post by Ahnica on Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 pm

It was asked of me towards the end of event how we felt about Crows, and I did recall that they were respected, and said as much at the time. I would like to elaborate now that I have gone back through the gypsy terms. I draw your attention to the definition of the word Wuzho:

Wuzho (WOO-zhoh) -- "Pure and untainted," the opposite of mahrime. Certain creatures are revered as wuzho, including hedgehogs, horses and all scavengers (who are honored for recycling that which has died), as well as some people, including most Roma.

This would lead me to say that crows are deeply honored, and that one may even touch and keep them, even though they subsist off of things that are unclean. They take what is mahrime and make it clean again. You may take this in whatever way you wish, but I personally find it to be a very powerful revelation, and one that makes me even more desperate to restore Crow to his former glory and kick the SHIT out of Taggart.

This has been your friendly cultural update via the OOG spirit of Diana.

Follower of Diana

Commendations
Positions Held: Founding Member

Re: Crows (and other scavengers)

Post by Joswyn Amantil Maroe on Tue May 26, 2015 6:01 pm

With the idea that the restoration/recycling of things that were previously dead is looked on so highly with Gypsy culture why do we have such a problem with Necromancy?
Archibald
Torque

Commendations
Positions Held: Torque: June 2015 - March 2016; October 2016 - Present

Post by Archibald on Tue May 26, 2015 7:52 pm

It says that they take what is mahrime and make it clean again. My interpretation, though I feel like I have quite a bit of reading to do on this subject still, is that scavengers use that which is unclean in a natural way and return it to the natural world as something useful. Scavenger feeds on the dead -> turns them into fertilizer/simply removes the rot and potential disease -> plants use the fertilizer to grow/are not hurt by the blight that disease often brings -> consumers eat the plant -> consumer dies and scavenger feeds on the consumer. Circle of life. Natural.

Necromancy disrupts that. It uses the undead sure, but what it does not do is continue the circle. It actually disrupts the circle and thus hurts all things.

Someone more knowledgeable than me; am I on the right track here?
Ahnica
Coldoon

Commendations
Positions Held: Founding Member, Coldoon since July 2014

Post by Ahnica on Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Necromancy is not restoring, it is perverting. The thing remains dead and unclean, still rotting, and is made to serve the purpose of someone with no respect for life. People who purposely kill to pervert that which was once alive and good. Also incorporeal undead take a spirit and taint it against its nature. Once kind souls can be twisted to be made into slaughter monsters.

It's all very against the natural order of things.

And yes, that is a good way to look at it Archie.

Follower of Diana

Commendations

Post by Joswyn Amantil Maroe on Wed May 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Alright, I just wanted to clear that up. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
Avandros
Follower of Diana

Commendations

Post by Avandros on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:11 am

I have a pet hedgehog, his name is Xavier, he's 6.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:32 pm